Thursday, August 16, 2012

Peace Corps Blurb (my application is turned in no plagiarism)

I was walking through the streets of South Korea in the summer of 2012 when I was approached by a young Korean woman who asked me a simple question. That question was, “What is peace to you?” She had a piece of paper on a clip board with one word and that word was “peace.” As I looked at the paper, I thought to myself, what is peace to me? And the only thought that came to my recollection was that peace loves one another. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. stated in one of his many speeches that, “We are caught in an escapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.” I truly believe and live by this quote. We are caught in this human experience that connects us to a deeper sense of self and what it means to be human. To truly have peace we must love each other. In order to have this love for one another, we must understand each other. It is through the shared experience of culture, language, and community that one can understand and love another. Throughout my life I have had different and varied experiences that have given me a greater appreciation of other cultures. This understanding has formed my life goals to become an advocate of breaking cultural barriers through education. As a Peace Corps volunteer, my goals in life will be reached as I aspire to become a University President. Having this experience will allow me to see the world with a different perspective. I desire to join the Peace Corps to serve the global community beyond my own culture so that I can connect to this “garment of mutual destiny” and positively affect another community through education. Also, as a Peace Corps volunteer, I have a broad understanding that there will be several challenges that I must face. I believe that I can meet the Peace Corps 10 Core Expectations. The most challenging aspect of the Peace Corps 10 Core Expectations is the first one – preparing my personal and professional life to make a commitment to serve abroad. In May 2013, I will be graduating with my Master's of Arts in Higher Education Administration. First, I have made a commitment and a dedication to the Peace Corps to ensure that I can give it my all by not committing to any other job or degree program in the next year. Secondly, I have let my family and friends know that I will be joining the Peace Corps. Finally, I am at peace with the understanding that I have to let everything go in order to pursue my dream. In order to bring peace and friendship to the world Mahatmas Ghandi stated, “Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances.” My life in the United States cannot affect the work that I wish to accomplish in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment