Monday, October 29, 2012

"Yo.. Can I Live"

Is it weird that I’m in higher education, attended an HBCU for my graduate and undergraduate degree, desire to mentor African American college age men, and I am a black educated male. Yet, I do not want to study or do research on black males in higher education. It just seems like everyone and their baby momma has researched this student population. They write these articles with the existential question of “how to engage black males?” But yet for me the topic has been over-saturated and drenched. Now, the key phrases used or buzz words to engage black men are consistently in every article that I read. It is not that I am not interested in this student population but... Can I live? Yes, there are a disproportionate percentage of black females to males in college. Yes, it is a "needs" population. But I just get tired of reading these articles from these privileged professors who are usually white male, middle class, Anglo, and Protestants telling me (a black male) how "I" learn or operate in certain circumstances. Even better, how being a successful educated black male makes me the exception and outlier. The only exception is Dr. Shaun R. Harper who hits the nail on the head. I've read all his articles in hopes to get into Penn (plug). That being said, I will not do my journal critique on engaging black males in higher education for my Contemporary College Student class due Nov. 8. Look for my next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment