Friday, May 24, 2013

Peace Corps Blog #1 - Awaiting Medical Clearance !

5/24/2013 - 2:49 A.M. EST

As I await final medical clearance, I thought it would be a good idea to begin my blogs or vlogs about my Peace Corps experience. I plan to do this monthly as I share my experiences from start to finish. I have been selected to serve in the Peace Corps in Namibia, Africa. I will be serving as an Education Volunteer in the Secondary and Upper Primary Project. I will be serving in Namibia from July 24, 2013 - September 18, 2015.

Briefly, the Secondary and Upper Primary project assists the Ministry of Education in its attempt to address the following issues, problems, and needs:
• Enhance the proficiency level of English as the medium of instruction in the Namibian Education System
• Improve and implement relevant secondary and upper primary education curriculum, exams, and resource materials.
• Address the shortage of teachers in subject areas such as English, Math and Science.
• Enhance knowledge and skills of less qualified upper primary and secondary teachers of English, Math, and Science.
• Enhance the skills of teachers and students in the use of English across the curriculum.
• Enhance the knowledge of teachers and students in environmental education.
• Assist Namibian schools to establish, maintain, or upgrade and use new school libraries, labs and other essential educational resources.
• Improve and expand access to innovative information technology for both learners and teachers.
• Assist the Education Ministry’s efforts with gender issues, especially in terms of high dropout ratio of females at the secondary level.

In order to be a successful volunteer, I need to be aware of the challenges and realities of being a volunteer in the Peace Corps. As an undergraduate student at Morgan State University, I had the privilege of knowing Mr. Ellis Brown. Mr. Ellis Brown is a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer who served in the 1980’s. Although his experience during his time of service may be different from today’s present volunteer, the realities and challenges are still the same.

The challenges of criminal activity in a volunteer’s community are very much real. Before I graduated with my Bachelor’s, I had several opportunities to talk with Mr. Brown about his Peace Corps experience. We discussed extensively that safety should be a high priority during my time of service. As a graduate student at Morgan State University, I began the application process with the understanding that there are real challenges to being a volunteer. I need to be cognizant of my African American identity and how that is expressed, viewed, and perceived.

Next, as a male I should be aware of the privileges that come along with being a male in communities where gender roles are present and dominance still exists. Identity privileges, specifically male privileges, have a tendency to silence female citizens and volunteers. In Namibia, there is a real struggle with gender issues as young females are discouraged from obtaining an education. With a Master of Arts in Higher Education, I would examine ways to combat social justice issues that relate to identity privileges. I may not be able to change the system but I would hope I can educate the community about social justice issues and women’s rights.

When I contemplate about being a Peace Corps volunteer, I can honestly say that there is nothing that I am looking for. I am a blank slate! I am truly and genuinely excited for this opportunity to serve. I am excited to serve because I expect to be exposed to a new culture and a new language. I understand that this exposure will lead to a new way of thinking and the development of multiple perspectives to view life. To understand that there are others that think and act differently from me is one of the keys to sound critical thinking. If more people can become tolerant of the differences of others, the world would be a much better place.

As a result of my background in Higher Education, we are taught to think about the way we view things and begin to think differently about it. We are also taught to consider diversity and multiculturalism and appreciate the complex lived experiences of others. To a greater extent, we are taught to value the cultures of others and through this meaning making process we can have the ability to empathize with students. At this point we can fully understand the students that we wish to serve. In the same context, I plan to have this mentality and an open heart so that I can fully experience a new culture that will change the way I think about student development in the school setting. My Master’s degree in Higher Education Administration has prepared me for this experience and now I can’t wait to put into practice what I have been taught in the classroom.

Stay tuned for Peace Corps Blog #2 as I look forward to chronicle my journey of adventure, self-discovery, and the pursuit of education. Please listen to my theme song: Tomorrow by Salif Keita http://youtu.be/NeTzJJNuRyw

Education Matters,

E. H. Smith, M. A.

No comments:

Post a Comment