Saturday, August 31, 2013

TSINTSABIS, OSHIKOTO, NAMIBIA

Tsintsabis!

Wednesday, I found out my site. I am going to Tsintsabis in the Oshikoto region. Tsintsabis is 60 KM from Tsumeb (see map below). IT'S IN THE NORTH! I'm still shocked at this because I am learning a language called Afrikaans thats not common in the North. In fact, the village that I am going to speaks Khoekhoegowaba (KKG) which is one of the click languages. More surprising is that I will be working with the Bushmen/San people of Namibia. The San people is one of the original people's of the world. No one knows where they come from. Their ancestors stretch back to 30,000 years ago. This is evident in the clay paintings in caves found in parts of Namibia. 



So I will be living on the school grounds. I'm pretty much happy about my placement. That's because one of my duties will be to serve as a type of administrator. At least, that's what the job description says. The principal wants me to work on AIDS/HIV awareness campaigns, in the school library, computer training for teachers and learners, and (again) administrative work. This is so perfect for me as a student affairs professional. I have a background in college level administration. Now I have to adapt my skills and learn new skills for K-12 administration. If you know me or follow my work... I AM BEYOND ECSTATIC! You are supposed to go where Peace Corps tells you to go... It may not be exactly what I expected/wanted... But I can tell already that I know that this is where I am SUPPOSED to be! Ready to jump in with an open mind! 



"I came to theory because I was hurting — the pain within me was so intense that I could not go on living. I came to theory desperate, wanting to comprehend — to grasp what was happening around and within me. Most important, I wanted to make the hurt go away. I saw in theory then a location for healing." - bell hooks 


This blog does not represent the Peace Corps or the United States of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment