Monday, June 16, 2014

Reflections on Development Work

Zora Neale Hurston stated in her book Dust Tracks on a Road, that "research is a formalized curiosity. It is poking and prying with a purpose. It is a seeking that he who wishes may know the cosmic secrets of the world and they that dwell therein." I am reading Hurston's autobiography and she is describing her times of research of Black life in the south. In this particular chapter, she describes the process of anthropology, ethnography and qualitative research. She states that one needs to find a vocation - a calling - that has a "soul in it." As I think about my  growing career, I should avoid things that have no soul, no purpose, and no life. That simply means that I should commit my life to something that has a purpose and fulfills a deep craving in my soul while meeting the needs of the world. Aristotle once said, "where the needs of the world and your talents cross path, there is your vocation." The word vocation is interesting. Vocation speaks of a divine calling to a particular career or station in life. 

Cornel West stated, "don't tell me about your career, tell me about your vocation - your life's calling." I must live a life that has a soul in it. I must, as Hurston described, "tell the tales, sing the songs, do the dances and repeat the raucous sayings and doings of the Negro farthest down." She stated that "truthfully they are utterly sincere in living," I relate this statement to working, living, and learning among any person living in a developing country. They truly have a sincere way of living. 

I believe I have found my vocation. After a meeting a few weeks ago, I had some thoughts and reflections. I think my biggest take away from the meeting is that we should really pay attention and listen to the people we are serving. I realized that volunteers may have great ideas and experiences to add to the conversation but that means nothing to what we can learn from the people. It is more important to listen and hear what the people want than for one to make policy decisions without the input of others who are impacted by said policy. You cannot make policy without hearing from the people at the grassroots level. More importantly, you cannot move ahead of the people before they are ready; wait for them. In this field of education and development you have to go at the pace of the people. You have to listen to the various stakeholders and consider their opinions first. 

The buzzword in development work is sustainability. It's a buzzword because everyone says it but not everyone knows what it means. If they don't know what it means than they don't know what it should look like. It is a term that must be unpacked. Development should be participatory, inclusive, people centered, capacity building, process focused and sustainable. But what does that mean? What does that look like? I had the privilege to attend this meeting and truly understand those key factors in development work. I was able to see things from their perspective and it confirmed that I am making a difference. 

Everyone had a voice and buy in on the project. I was able to see real people that were impacted by policy. Real people should remain in our focus. We must ensure that the people we serve are building on their own strengths. We must empower the people through the process and focus less on the product. It is hoped that there will be some level of continuity with the work we are doing. But we have to remain humble. As a result, we should continue to listen to our constituents who are at the grassroots level. That is where the real change is happening. That's where the real work is being done. That's where the difference happens. There are thousands of people in the developing world who are ready for change, calling for hope, and eager to work for their country. One person can make a change. That person can touch ten people. Those ten people will reach one hundred. One hundred people will reach ten thousand. It all starts with one voice, one action, and one hope to build others! Let's get out there, roll up our sleeves and make a difference. 

The truth is that we are not yet free; we have merely achieved the freedom to be free, the right not to be oppressed... For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others. - Nelson Mandela 

No comments:

Post a Comment